Thursday, September 29, 2011

The City Life

Yup. I did it. I'm here. I moved. Actually, it's almost been a week. wow.

So what's it like? how was moving in? Well in some ways it was wonderful, and in some ways it was the worst.

Day 1: Davic helped me move in (I'm so thankful! he made it way easier.) We spent the day doing some mild exploring and figuring out the bus, and ended with a way overdue heart-to-heart. That night however was the WORST.
Sleeping in a new place is hard enough for me, I'm sensitive to my environment in every way. What made it 10 times worse was the city noise that I wasn't quite used to. Buses, sirens, you name it. And the cherry on top was trying to sleep next to Davic who tossed and turned and talked in his sleep. At one point he even hit me in the head.

Day 2: I felt VILE from a lack of sleep and the nerves from my new environment. Davic wanted nothing more than to explore the city, and could barely hold still. We had to compromise, spending some of the time resting in my room, and some of the time in the shops close to it.
That afternoon I had to send him home on the train, and of course I started to feel better right around this time! We said our goodbyes and I headed back "home." My first ever solo walk in the city. And when I got back my apartment felt sad and empty. This was the saddest point of my week.  :(  BUT I was able to sleep that night, perhaps from pure exhaustion.

Day 3: I don't think I did anything this day other than grocery shop. Which by the way is not so fun when you're paying yourself...
Although that night I fell back into my normal routine and it started to make my place feel homey.

Day 4: I didn't bring a razor because I expected to just buy one at the store below me. But apparently the people here don't grow hair, because I couldn't find any razors, not even the lady kind! So I checked out google maps, and found a route to RiteAid. The trip was interesting and was my first solo adventure through the city. I got asked for change, creepily smiled at, asked for directions, and had a picture of me taken!

Day 5: Orientation day at my school. I had to wake up early, take the bus by myself for the first time, and sit through several boring lectures. Only one of which even had to do with my specific major. I being hypoglycemic and all, need protein every few hours. That didn't mix so well with the 4 or 5 lectures that kept me there until afternoon....Also I was given my supply kit which weighed 70 thousand pounds. So wobbly, dizzy, little ol me had to lug alllllll that shee-yit home on the bus. Looked like this:
Day 6: Today. The most exciting thing I did was read my book outside. (woah a semi-social setting with people there? What's gotten into you?) And make a grilled cheese sandwich.

It is feeling more and more like home. Which I'm sure will only continue. Tomorrow evening I'm going home to visit because it's been SO long.  :P And on Monday...at 8 am.....class starts. dun dun dunnnnn!

Wish me luck <3